Advancing mitigation and offset policy to conserve biodiversity
Experienced practitioners from industry, financial institutions, governments and NGOs presented the challenges and complexities around 'No Net Loss' of biodiversity and discussed options for reconciling conservation goals with compensation.
Industry and infrastructure development often conflicts with biodiversity conservation, but approaches for counterbalancing residual biodiversity losses from development are increasingly mainstream. The most prominent of these is biodiversity offsetting, which aims to achieve No Net Loss of biodiversity. The presentations and interactive discussions in this Thematic Stream Session examined how compensatory actions can be harnessed to deliver more desirable and transparent outcomes for biodiversity and stakeholders. A crucial element of this is providing more clarity and certainty to investors, practitioners, lenders, governments and society.
Dr. Fabien QUÉTIER, Senior consultant, Biotope
Mr. Stephen EDWARDS, Senior Programme Manager, IUCN
Dr. Raymond VICTURINE, Director Conservation Finance, WCS
Prof. Martine MARON, Professor of Environmental Management, The University of Queensland
- Ms. Denise NICOLAU, Biodiversity Offsets Program Coordinator, BIOFUND
- Ms. Mariana SARMIENTO, CEO, Terrasos
- Mr. Mathieu SOUQUET, Directeur Outre Mer et Madagascar, Biotope
- Mr. Yannick AUTRET, Expert, énergie et environnement, Ministère de la transition écologique France
- Mr. Conrad SAVY, Biodiversity Lead: Africa & Middle East, International Finance Corporation
- Dr. Genevieve CAMPBELL, Senior Associate, Re:wild
- Ms. Naïg COZANNET, Senior task manager - Mainstreaming Biodiversity, AFD